Monday, July 2, 2018

MAY 30, 2018

Hey y'all, 

This week has been crazy with Memorial Day on Monday and Zone Conference on Tuesday, but it was a great week! I never know where to start, but honestly everyday as a missionary is a highlight so we'll see what I pull out this week. 

A few highlights:

Exchanges: I had the chance this week to go down the BAYOU  of Louisiana down in the Houma/Thibodeaux area. Just straight Cajuns down there it was awesome! Tons of turtles, and ventured to see our friend "Big AL" a big ole gator. One example: We were helping this guy get turtles out of this pond with a rope/cage, and then weeding around it. And out of no where we hear him yelling across the grass, but had no idea what he was saying. We found out shortly he was saying "Cooley get the turtles out of the cage." But it sounded more like "Cullooo geda turdas frm da cashge." haha and that doesn't even do it justice. 


So Rodney Hollis turns out to be one of the greatest member missionaries this side of the Mississippi and he doesn't even attend church haha. Let me just help y'all re picture this man. 5 foot 1, like 250 lbs totally jacked out of his his mind. Total swoledier. He showed us this video of him benching 500 lbs. Just good gravy. Anyways, loves the bible and loves the Lord. Also the funniest guy. He told us that when he was baptized, "They had me in a nice warm swimming pool and had me up on the big screen broad casted to Salt Lake City. " Lol we think he was talking about the big mirror above the font :) I love the South. Some of the quotes from this man are just too good. 
We show up for our meeting with him, and he invites us in only to introduce us to this 18 year old kid that is preparing to go into the marines in the fall. Rodney's first sentence, "My brothers this is Michael and he is hungering for the Lord. Teach him the gospel." Hahaha let's goo!! We were so stoked! Let's just say like many down in the South Rodney isn't a man with few words, so the first lesson we were mostly just quoting bible scriptures and gaining that trust with Michael. Rodney just starts preaching too haha. So at the end of the visit, we were like, "Rodney you gotta come to church with us tomorrow, and bring Michael with you." Rodney was like, "My brothers in Christ, I have other commitments at another church, but y'all take Michael with you." haha we will keep working with Rodney bless his heart, because this man could bring some influential Louisianians into the church. And he has already set us up! After the lesson Rodney said he wanted everyone to see us with him, so he started waling down the street with us haha. At one point he was yellling down the street saying, "These are the Lord's anointed sharing God's word." Just imagine this man yelling that :D
We got Michael a ride to church, and he loved it. He is sooo prepared it is incredible! As we walked into the church with him, he stopped outside and just stared at the sign "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." It was familiar to him, which isn't surprising, but way cool. We asked him what he thought about church, since it was kinda a lot all at once. He said, that the moment he walked in he felt something different: the spirit of the Lord was there, and he recognized it. 

Miracle: 
We were tracting a few streets that we had prayed about, and were having great success. We felt like we needed to hit a different street, and ended up knocking on this door and this older lady invited us right in. (Always a pleasant surprise when someone just up and lets you in without even introducing yourself) Well, turns out she is a member of the church, and immediately asked us: "So y'all are here to teach Brie right?" Elder Woody and I turned to each other having no idea what was going on haha. Turns out Brie had been previously taught by missionaries and their family is semi active. Brie was visiting her grandma that night, but isn't usually there since her house is on the other side of town. So we are going to start teaching her since she is almost 10, and hopefully help her family start coming back to church. She is a way nice little girl, and she has a 13 year old sister as well. Brie's dad isn't a member either, so we are going to try and make steps there as well. It was a total miracle, as we had no idea that this family was ready to receive the missionaries. They made it to church too :) I love being in the service of the Lord, being guided by him each and everyday. There is just no denying the guidance we receive on the Lord's errand, it is amazing. 
I love this quote by President Monson and I think it doesn't just apply to missionaries, "Whether it is the best of times or the worst of times, He is with us. He has promised that this will never change." I know we have a Heavenly Father that is very aware of each of us. 

I could continue to share the spiritual highlights, but I will close with my experience yesterday at Zone Conference. It was a powerful meeting, and spiritually refreshing. Many testimonies were shared, and that was a spiritual high for me. The spirit was so strong and I was grateful for the reminder of my own personal love for my mission as other missionaries bore testimony at the close of theirs. I will forever cherish this journey, and am so grateful I can continue to serve Him. Glad my mission call has been extended to 2020 ;) Now I will really become a Southerner. Hahaha jk don't worry Mom! I love y'all and I love my Heavenly Father. 

Love, 
Elder Wilson