Thursday, July 19, 2018

JULY 2, 2018

Hey y'allers, 

I just keep finding that the weeks just get better and better! This last one was one for the books that is for sure. Trio life is good!

Funny Story: We read a powerful talk (letter) called the Ricciardi Letter for companion study this week, and it got us all pumped as you can imagine. Just picture a trio of 3 elders just ready to pound some doors proclaiming the good word. Basically the elder in the letter is totally savage and bolder than the bolded Miracles in this letter. We were all being way bold and just talking to everyone on the streets. In the 100 degree heat and humidity I even started a lesson with this guy by asking to borrow his hose and helped wash his car, etc.  We took a soak too haha. (speaking of 100 degree weather with humidity, all I can say is goood gravy!! I don't think I have sweat more in my life. We are cooking our butters off down here. And the rocks aren't clean enough to throw eggs on, so it is a lose lose.Snow balls (snow cones) are the only things helping us survive! Anyways, we were visiting this former investigator and Elder Woody just starts throwing down dropping bomb shells on this poor man. He was like, "Cleon do you believe in Christ? Then you need to fulfill your commitment to read this chapter to know if this is true, because you haven't kept it yet." Boom! Elder Bailey and I were nervous and sick, but it worked out somehow hahaha. He read it, and we are having some good discussions with him :) It was a little different when he talked about how we almost interrupted him last week with a "friend" and he has a trust fund back east... anyways lol. Gotta love the south!!

Donovan and Michael both made it to church this week, and are doing great! There is a youth temple trip planned with the ward here at the end of the month, and so we are going to work towards helping them get baptized so they can attend. 

Patrick entered the waters of baptism on Saturday, and what a sight. He was so happy and couldn't stop smiling. I will never forget his smiling face as he came out of the water, clean and pure. It was such a special day and the spirit was undeniable. He posted many pictures on FaceBook, and shared how he felt it was one of the best experiences of his life so far. He is 46 and continues to tell us he has been searching for the church for over 30 years. We had multiple lessons at Brother and Sister Strobel's house here, and Brother Strobel is also in medical school. Him and Patrick became great friends right off the bat, and so it was way cool to see Brother Strobel baptize Patrick. I was grateful and humbled to be able to confirm Patrick a member of the church and give him the Holy Ghost in sacrament meeting the next day. It was a special experience for me, and the spirit definitely prompted some amazing blessings for Patrick. I am so so incredibly grateful for the opportunity that I have had to be an instrument in the Lord's hands here in Louisiana. I sure do love Louisiana. Patrick came to his baptism with a tithing slip ready to give to the bishop too! What a guy. And then since yesterday was Fast Sunday we got a text from him at about 5:45 that evening saying, "Successful fasting (I believe I did) Can I now have dinner Elders? Is there any specific time to have dinner?"  We laughed and smiled about how prepared and faithful this man is. He's awesome! Not sure if I mentioned this before, but 
Miracle: When Patrick was 10 years old missionaries visited his family in Thailand and gave him a picture of Jesus to color. Then about 20 years later while living in New Orleans he had the elders (in the picture I will send) over for dinner a couple of times. He remembers both experiences vividly, but wasn't ready to accept the gospel at those times. However, looking at the picture now of the 2 elders 16 years ago he sees similarities between Elder Woody and I, and then another elder not shown in the picture visited one time (they were in a trio one time they visited Patrick), and now 16 years later it starts with 2 elders (Elder Woody and I) and then now Elder Bailey came to finish. Interesting to some, but to me it is a miracle and testimony of a loving Heavenly Father that is very aware of each of us. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and has been restored!
Another part of the experience was how much anti and hate mail Patrick received from "friends" the night before his baptism. We testified of how Satan is doing everything he possibly can to stop him from making the decision to follow Christ and be baptized. As sad as it is it is another testimony of the reality of this work. If it weren't true why would Satan care? Patrick punched Satan in the mouth though! He said he can't deny the testimony he has found. Let's goo!!

We have been meeting with Juan multiple times a week and he is doing so good. We came prepared on one of the lessons to teach the Word of Wisdom and this is what was crazy:
  Miracle: He told us that 2 days before he had visited the Doctor and they told him he needed to stop smoking as soon as possible or his lungs would not be able to handle it anymore. (Something along those lines) Anyways, we then told him about the word of wisdom and how it was actually a commandment from God. He was beyond willing and excited to live the word of wisdom. We went over a couple days later and taught the stop smoking workshop to help him to be a non-smoker in 7 days. Amazing to see how the Lord puts us missionaries in the paths of people's lives at the perfect time. It is almost like it is His work! It is definitely His work! 
It was a smile for me when after one of the lessons Juan walked outside with us and told us how much he has changed in just the last couple of weeks. He seemed so happy about his progress, and it made me think about how happy our Heavenly Father is when we turn closer to him and change. I have found so much joy in helping people to change and turn to the Savior Jesus Christ and I know that a lot of the reason is because I have seen myself change in the process. I love helping people to repent, because that means I get to repent and change with them. The joy that I have found is unmeasurable. I love my Savior Jesus Christ and I love Louisiana, because of Him.

I love y'all and want to thank you for supporting me out here on my mission. Hope you have a blessed week and stay low and frosty as usual. 
Love, 
Elder Wilson