Monday, July 2, 2018

MAY 1, 2018

Another week that was just great!! It was the last week of the transfer, and couldn't have been better. We started the week of with teaching early morning seminary 2 mornings with the High school kids, and had a blast. Just picture this, "Missionary olympics" with the study of Mormon 8 and 9 :D We found whatever we could from the apartment and had some sporting events. For example, pin the mardi gras beads on the deer skull, and put put golf with a saints cup. It was pretty great let me tell ya :) It sure kept everyone alert at 6 a.m haha. 

NEWS: Last night we got transfer calls. It turns out I am headed back down to where I was mission born and raised--NOLA! I will be in a suburb west of mid city where I started and it is a city called Kenner.  My new companion will be Elder Woody, and I remember picking him up at the airport many months ago, so that will be great. All I know is that I will be going in swinging and finishing strong, because this may be my last stop! I will be the district leader down there, and rumor has it I will have 12 missionaries in the district, so this may be intense. I am looking forward to the challenge though, and grateful for another opportunity to serve the Lord in a different part of his vineyard. Elder Jensen is trained up and once these reins are off, this man is going to soar. Love Elder Jensen! Honestly feels like yesterday I picked the guy up. Total stud, going to do amazing things. 

We had our last couple lessons with Danny and he completely threw coffee. He had been drinking 2 to 3 cups of coffee everyday for almost his whole life and on Wednesday he just got rid of the whole coffee maker in the house. Threw the thing right in the garbage. He told us that he gave up alcohol many years ago, and although he was a chain smoker he did the same with tobacco. Such a good man, and so prepared! His baptismal interview went great, and he told the elder he was excited to serve. On Saturday morning bright and early we got to the church at 8 to fill the font, and Danny showed up at 8:15 in prep for the 9 a.m baptism. As Elder Jensen kept saying, "Danny is smiling like a school girl." Haha he seriously was so excited for his baptism, and it turned out so great. Randy Helm one of the members of the ward down here was able to baptize him, and he is a convert himself so that was way special for him. We had a lesson with Danny in his home with his family, and they are awesome. There was such a special spirit at the baptism, and so great that many members could come and support. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true with all my heart, and I felt that confirmation again with Danny's decision to enter the waters of baptism. Danny told us afterward, "I just felt a cleansing feeling and powerful spirit after being baptized, and it stayed with me for several hours." How amazing is that? To see a man humble himself and exercise the needed faith to follow the example of Jesus Christ is just amazing. I am so grateful for the blessing it was to find Danny when he had been prepared by the Lord. It was a miracle. His sister had passed away 3 days before reached out to him a few months ago, and although a very sad event, it allowed the Gospel of Jesus Christ to fully enter his life as we taught him many restored truths. The plan of salvation is real. Danny then went with Randy Helm to Slidell to be an Usher at the Glady's Knight event the rest of the day, and was confirmed a member/given the Holy ghost the next day at church. 

The Glady's Knight event was such a hit!! Nana Tay, our investigator Grandma that is seriously the nicest lady, gave the sister missionaries a ride, and we rode with Bobby and Joanna Penton. Steve Lee brought his wife Courtney, and Chris and Paige made it to the evening showing. Many others came as well, and it was great to see so many African Americans as well. Those barriers are going down!! During part of the performance Glady's Knight and the choir started jamming out, and next thing I knew tons of us missionaries were clapping, dancing, and praising the Lord in the chapel. Never thought I would see that in an LDS chapel, but boy was it awesome!! Glady's Knight as you can imagine brought a total Baptist music feel and got the crowd singing and praising the Lord with some Amens, hallelujahs, and thank you Jesus' going on. It was such a blast, and Glady's bore powerful testimony of how finding the church has blessed her life tremendously. It was incredible. The stake president at the end was like, "Now if you are interested in learning more from these missionaries now you know these missionaries GOT SOUL!" Amen. So great to be able to break down some barriers and leave it on the dance floor Chapel. Whatever we gotta do to break down those walls, and share the gospel with ALL I say!

I have come to love this area so much, and have made so many lasting friendships that I will treasure forever. It is so hard to leave, but I know the Lord needs me elsewhere. I know that I found those many friends that I promised to find here, and am so grateful. It will be great to be able to keep in touch with them too, and further encourage them :) And Kenner isn't too far!

Well, I love y'all and want to thank you so much for your support. I love my mission so much, and am so thankful for the opportunity to serve the Lord. 
Love, 
Elder Wilson