Thursday, July 19, 2018

JULY 16, 2018

Family, Friends, and Chris, 

This week was another incredible week; I don't even know where to start!! So many amazing miracles and experiences to share, but you know how it goes. I will do my best!

We tracted into this guy that came out and was like, "I was just gettin in the books working on my sermon for my church I am trying to start. God must have sent y'all." What are the odds? Well, after the time I have spent in his service I would say they are pretty high, because this is His work and Heavenly Father is aware of all of us.  I love being guided by the spirit to know where to go as a missionary. It was interesting though haha, he wants to hold a church in the super dome on Sundays. Not sure how that will work, but he's a good man. 

This week we did a little church swap with Brother Painter, who's wife is a member but he isn't. He attends the Catholic church and specifically the Latin Catholic Mass every week. So we decided it would be an interesting experience, and we could help him come to church as well. In all honesty, I had no idea what was going on or being said while we were there, but it was a good experience. They only blessed bread for communion and no wine, because of health reasons and so I thought that was kinda cool, however, missing a key piece of doctrine of course. It was funny though, because he was showing us around the church and this other usher guy just starts trying to bash with us... Without even introducing himself he said, "If that mass didn't convert you to Catholicism than I don't know what will." Hehe. Since we aren't supposed to preach in other people's churches it kinda felt like an unarmed attack, bless his heart. We just stood there and took the darts :) We told him if he wanted to talk religion with us we could walk down the street and talk with him haha. Standing there I just kept thinking of the song by MC Hammer, "Can't touch this" :) Brother Painter felt bad, but it was all good!

Quote of the week from Patrick: "Dear Elders, Sirs, Trios, this morning I met a couple friends and they asked me questions about now being Mormon. I told them details. Ultimately the said, 'Patrick I've never seen you with such joy and happiness. I think you found the righteous path for you. Congratulations." He then told us how proud he feels to be Mormon. What a guy. I can honestly say I have seen his countenance change and his light shining as an example to others. I love that guy. 

Miracle: Michael Dailey and Donovan Castillo were both baptized on Saturday and it was incredible to see and be a part of. The spirit was so strong and it was amazing to see how excited they both were to be clean and start again now on the covenant path. They are a couple years apart and didn't know each other at all, but it has been way cool to see how good of friends they have become attending church together and now being baptized the same day. The ward members have just grabbed a hold of both of them too and that has been so great! Bishop baptized Michael and Elder Woody was able to baptize Donovan :) I will never forget what Michael shared right when he came out of the water, "I have never felt so clean and pure," and Donovan felt the same way. Part of the miracle with this as well is that we had interviews with both of them and Michael's Mom was completely supportive, however, Donovan's mom was not very happy with his decision. We were able to talk with his Mom for like 30 minutes and honestly I don't even remember what exactly we said, but the spirit softened her heart. By the end of the conversation it was almost like she wanted to be baptized too :) It was a total miracle. 
Donovan was so nervous that she wouldn't let him, but it all worked out. He is going to go on the youth trip with the ward this week and has made so many friends in young mens which has been great. That same night Michael drove up to BR with some of the YSA's down here for a multi stake YSA activity. The activity was speed dating I guess, and so you can imagine how many digits he got after being baptized that same day :) haha so awesome! He then stood up in Elder's Quorum and told everyone his future plans: "Go into the marines in order to get school paid for, and a 2 year mission." We were in shock!! How cool would that be? Such a stud. He was like, "Taysom Hill did it too." True that! I am so grateful to have met these guys and been able to help bring them into the fold and teach them the gospel.

Last week was my final zone conference, and  I honestly can't even believe it. I remember my first one like it was yesterday. There were some great insights shared about using Preach my Gospel more effectively and setting goals to achieve with the Lord's help. I truly can say that goal setting with the Lord is a way for faith to allow miracles to happen in our lives and especially in his service. Also, during zone conference the missionaries leaving get to share a go-home testimony with everyone. It was very hard for me to wrap in 2 years of service into a testimony, but I will share a few thoughts here as well:

  I shared this quote that has meant a lot to me:
"Obedience is the price
Faith is the power
Love is the motive
The spirit is the key
Christ is the reason"
-The greatest price ever paid was that of the Savior Jesus Christ giving his life for us. Because of this, I believe the sacrifices each of us make in our lives draw us closer to Him who sacrificed the greatest. It allows for the faith to become a principle of power that influences our lives. It allows for the spirit to touch our lives and the lives of others around us for the better. The spirit can change our natural desires and refine us into the beings we were destined to be. And all this because of the life and price our Savior Jesus Christ paid for each of us. I have seen that when we put Him at the center, we see ourselves changing more to be like Him. 1 John 3:2

I can truly say my mission has meant the world to me. It has changed my life. I have loved it and love the people of Louisiana so much. I also shared the joy that I have felt and how this work is a work of miracles. Part of Alma 26:12, and 16--- "behold many miracles [have been] wrought in this land, for which [I] will praise his name forever. Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel." Miracles are an unchanging part of the Lord's work, but one of the greatest miracles I have seen is the one that has occurred in my heart. For that I will be forever grateful. Words will not be able to adequately express the love and joy that I have felt. I can truly say I have felt the Savior walking beside me and at times carrying me. I love my mission, I love Louisiana, and I love the Lord. I thought that serving a mission would allow me to "repay" my Heavenly Father for the blessings he has given me, but I think I have found that I am just in even more debt to Him now. I love y'all so much and am so thankful for your love, support, and examples to me. 
Love, 
Elder Wilson