Monday, November 7, 2016

NOVEMBER 7, 2016

This week was great! The Saints are winning games and missionary work is hastening! Wait a second, hmm, interesting :)

First things first, my birthday was fantastic!! Thanks everyone for wishing me happy birthday and showing such love! For my B-day we went Streetballing in the Hood!! It was super fun and don't worry I still got it :D I was breaking ankles and everything haha. I was serving it up and dinner was definitely served! Let's just say I can pretty much dunk now since I have been doing my world famous 12 week program on the bike hahaha. We balled it up with a couple nice kids too. We then went and got some Snowballs (snowcones) so it was pretty great!

On Wednesday, I went up to Baton Rouge and picked up my new trainee. His name is Elder Hicken and he is from Sandy, Utah. He is a really nice guy right off the MTC griddle! He likes computers and such so that has been funny hearing his computer hacking stories. It has been pretty different though without my trainer Elder Glissmeyer, but it has given me the chance to really rely on the atonement to strengthen me into the missionary I know the Lord wants me to become.  I am trying to befriend Elder Hicken as much as I can and help him transition into normal missionary life. Reading the scriptures this week has really helped me gain a stronger testimony of the power of prayer. I know that our Heavenly Father wants to hear from us and will allow the holy ghost to comfort us each and everyday when we strive to be obedient and pray for his love. I loved this quote this week from Joseph B. Wirthlin, "We see ourselves in terms of yesterday and today. Our Heavenly Father sees us in terms of Forever. He sees us as glorious beings we are capable of becoming." What a powerful thought.

We had a few amazing miracles this week. One of which was with a recent convert named Sonny D. He was walking back from a late night club with another recent convert, Tory when they were both assaulted by a man completely covered in black attire. Sonny ended up being shot 9 times in the stomach, arms, and legs. Tory was somehow able to make it out of there without getting hit, but was pretty traumatized by the experience. The ambulance arrived quickly and was able to take Sonny to the hospital before more damage could be caused.  To make a long story short, our recent convert Sonny D, miraculously survived and all 9 shots that hit him missed every critical area in his body. We were able to see him in the hospital and give him a priesthood blessing. He told us how he felt someone protecting him that night and also lifting him up and giving him the strength to call the police after he had been shot. This was truly a miracle and the Lord protected him from an easily fatal incident. When we were able to talk with him in the hospital he told us of his sincere desire to change his life around and truly become converted to the gospel, because he believes it is what saved him that night. I have a strong testimony that the Lord blesses us and keeps us safe when we trust in him and are faithful. I hope and pray that though brutal this experience was that it will cause an increased desire to live in God's ways and help Sonny and Tory become more converted to living the gospel. Don't worry about us though, we are the "Jesus people/church people" so everyone loves us :D Keep them in your prayers.

Another miracle was with a man named Isaac. He was the man that I had previously shared about from the miracle with the bike lock. The day about a month ago that my companion and I locked up our bikes only to be unable to unlock it was the start of a miracle. This week we were able to run into Isaac again and he again thanked us for the bible that we had given him. We were able to teach him the restoration lesson and invited him to come to Church this week. Sure enough, he came to Church yesterday and really loved it. All of this was because of a simple bike lock malfunction a month ago, which allowed us to be led to a man that was in need of a bible, because his old one was tattered, torn, and destroyed. This experience reminds me of a scripture in the Book of Mormon about how through small and simple things great things may come to pass. I know that this is true and what a blessing it is.

News on Mr. Moore is that we unfortunately were unable to interview him in time for his baptism this week, but we are planning on having it this Saturday the 12th!

 Well, thanks everyone for your love and support. I feel the prayers given in my behalf and they strengthen me everyday. I hope y'all have a blessed week!
Love, 
Elder Wilson