Monday, October 24, 2016

OCTOBER 24, 2016

Hey Y'all, 

This week was another fantastic week in the mission field! Quote of the week, "Hey are y'all selling insurance?" My response, "Well, in a way yeah. Would you be interested in a free quote? We are more than willing to share a message about Jesus Christ with you." Haha I guess that is the quote of the month since we get that quite a bit :D

Food experience of the week: So, this week a family from Honduras in the ward invited us over for dinner! We were super stoked to go to the Vasquez home. When we arrived they asked us if we liked grilled snake. I was like, "Yeah, sure." We were nervous for a good 6-8 minutes before they finally brought out some grilled chicken right off the griddle haha. They had us going with the snake though haha that was nerve wracking at best! I was definitely happy to be eating some grilled chicken and rice, but then they brought out some tropical fruit called Nance that is apparently big in Honduras. They told us how good it was, but let's just say I wouldn't recommend that to anyone haha that was something else. There is no way that was fruit. Bless their hearts that was awesome. Such a nice family.

Our most promising investigator Mr. Moore, "Mr. Mo," is really excited to be baptized! We taught him the Plan of Salvation and the Gospel of Jesus Christ lessons this week and really emphasized the importance of being baptized by someone holding the proper priesthood authority. He absolutely loved the P.O.S and told us several times in the lesson that he knows it is true because he has been praying for answers to profound spiritual questions, and that God has placed us in his path to bring him this divine wisdom! One of my favorite quotes from Mr. Mo this week was when we reiterated the blessing of being a member of the Church and he told us, "As I sit here listening to these messages that you bring me, knowing that it is true, God is bringing me to another level that he wants me to be at. I love y'all and know that God has sent you brothers to teach me the truth that I need." I love Mr. Mo, he is such a good man and has a sincere desire to serve others and will make an incredible addition to the New Orleans ward down here :) 
We had the goal of getting him ready to be baptized this week on Oct. 29th, but we aren't going to be able to teach all of the lessons in time unfortunately. I am not too worried about him though and think that it will work out just great shooting for baptism in the coming week or two. He has already stopped smoking and drinking in the last couple years and has truly been prepared by the Lord for this next step in his life. It has been such a blessing to be able to teach Mr. Mo and to see the Lord place this wonderful man in our missionary path at this time in his life where I can truly feel that he has been very much prepared to be taught. Such a good guy! He has been coming to Church the last couple weeks and has been enjoying it quite a bit. He started bringing his wife with him as well and she is also really enjoying Church. She asked us after Church if she would be able to come to the lessons with Mr. Mo and we were more than thrilled to tell her YES! She is eager to be taught and so that is super exciting!
Another progressing investigator is Jason Porter. He was able to finally make it to Church yesterday and loved feeling a part of the brotherhood in Priesthood. He told us how cool it was to see everyone participating in a deep discussion during one of the lessons. The lesson was on loving our neighbors and helping those that stand in need of comfort. In New Orleans there are many poverty stricken families in the ward/community that need support and it is our responsibility to serve them. He really enjoyed Church and we were able to finish teaching him the P.O.S afterward. He ate that lesson up like a piece of pie!  He can be quoted as saying, "All my life I knew there was more than one place after death, but I just couldn't find anyone that agreed with me." Well, after much looking he has found them :)
Overall an outstanding week! I love being a missionary! Thanks so much for your prayers. I hope y'all have a blessed week!
Love, 
Elder Wilson