Tuesday, August 15, 2017

JULY 24, 2017

Hey y'all,  

I can officially say it is toasty toast down here in Louiville!! It was pretty intense last week, but now it is just over the top haha.  It is soooooooooo ooooooooo hot down here. It is insane. I never thought I could sweat from every pore until I came down to the South, heaven for betsy!!
I don't know how I'm going to survive. Luckily I'm not on a bike like the beginning of my mission last summer. That was something else. Those local store handkerchiefs just couldn't even keep up haha. I may have to invest in a Do-rag. The white handbook does say to adapt to the culture am I right? We'd probably get in every door at that point. Why haven't I thought of this before. Vision of the South here we go!

This week was really great! Sheryl was able to make it to church again this week, and gave some awesome input in the Gospel Principles class. Everyone was like, jee wizz she is right on point. Bishop introduced her in Sacrament meeting as well and announced her baptism for this Saturday the 29th!! Please keep her in your prayers, because she is feeling a bit nervous. It is totally expected, but we are just helping her work through it. She is really excited, "to get in those white jump suits and get in the water." Let's goooo!! 

We were also able to go back to that bible study that Silvia (one of Sheryl's friends that went to bible school with her) was putting on at her house. We took President Varner with us and it was so great! It was President Varner's first experience with a local bible study haha so you can only imagine. Direct quote, "that was nothing like I expected." Haha bless his heart. It is always so nerve wracking trying to find the perfect time to start sharing our beliefs/Book of Mormon with them since it is their bible study, but let's just say I went for it like it was butter and someone else was paying for it! We started reading in Hebrews 11 about faith and Silvia kept sharing about planting seeds of faith to grow. Well, what perfect time to share Alma 32 then right then and there! Long story short, we ended up opening up to it and all the 6 non-members in the room had a copy of the B.O.M to read from. We read almost half the chapter and it was so cool/hilarious that like the whole time Silvia was like, "come on now. Mhmhmmm. Oh yeah, come on now. give it to me now." Haha it was the best!

We had Mission Leadership Council this week and that was great discussing the needs of the mission. It was cool just having a very open conversation about so many things. President Varner's vision of the future of the mission is incredible. He is focusing on being examples to the new missionaries  After MLC were able to go on exchanges with the zone leaders down in New Orleans and I got to stay down in my old stomping grounds! It was crazy stopping at the Metairie Stake center on our way down. Just the smell of the building brought back so many memories, thoughts, nervousness, excitement, and everything in between. Since one of the elders was sick I was able to go out with a few different missionaries throughout the exchange. It was great just being able to learn from them and share a few insights with them from Pres. Varner. 

Last week I hit my 1 year mark out in the mission field. I can't even believe it. I have learned so much about myself and my Savior Jesus Christ. I am having a hard time putting it in words. He has always been there for me even when the answers to my prayers for strength came with boulders to jump over. Or you find yourself praying for patience and then pop 3 bike tires in a week. But each and everyday he has given me the strength to jump a little higher and be a little better. Our Heavenly Father always seems to push us out of our comfort zones knowing that it will be the best for us. However, that doesn't mean it is going to be easy. I have sure seen that on my mission. This has been the greatest 1 year for my life, and I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for me next. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ was restored on the Earth through the Prophet Joseph Smith. It doesn't matter how many people come up and say, "I'm not here to condemn yall or argue, but I just don't agree with anything you teach." Famous first words right there before a bible bash. The reason it doesn't matter is because it is true. The gospel is true and the Book of Mormon IS TRUE! Heavenly Father loves all of us so much. What more is there to say. I know it, and I know y'all know it. 
I love y'all and hope you have a blessed week! and shout out to Big Papa J, Happy Birthday broseph! Stay low and frosty :D and good luck trying out for the middle school cheer squad. 
Love, 
Elder Wilson